Holyrood council says no health risks associated with new cell tower

By Mark Squibb 

The Town of Holyrood has approved construction of a new cell tower near the public library at 5 Liam Hickey Drive.

This comes after years of council petitioning the provincial government and service providers for better cellular phone coverage.

Mayor Laura Crawley allowed the tower had been “a long time coming.”

The mayor said that while council is excited about the application, there has been some murmuring around the community about potential health impacts caused by radio waves.

Crawley said there is no cause for concern, and the application had already undergone an environmental assessment.

Councillor Steve Winsor echoed the mayor’s thoughts.

“Just so everyone clearly understands, there is no scientific evidence around that at all, as per the Government of Canada,” said Winsor. “I think that’s really all that needs to be said on that. It has been studied to death by reputable agencies and scientists, and asked on all available scientific evidence there are no health risks associated with cell phone towers.”

Those present approved the motion unanimously. Councillor Mable Tilley was absent from the meeting.

Posted on May 24, 2026 .